Monday, November 8, 2010

This Post has Pictures!

The girls and I were invited to a friend’s for lunch while Casey was out of town this week, and this is what awaited us.  I was so touched.

CIMG0525

We had couscous with avocado slices and the best Panini sandwiches I’ve ever had: turkey, provolone and pepper-jack cheeses, sautéed roasted red bell peppers and sundried tomatoes.  Delicious!

CIMG0508

I asked T’s other guest to take pictures for me, because the presentation was so beautiful.  T is especially known for her creativity and eye for beauty, but I cannot get over how easily this type of thing comes to her.  She truly has a gift!  One that I certainly do not have (sadly) but I do appreciate!  It’s easy to forget how important presentation can be, since I pay so little attention to it myself, but this luncheon really reminded me how much difference it makes when attention is paid in this area.  I felt so spoiled, loved and well-hosted.

CIMG0527

T’s presentation didn’t stop with the adults: she had this cute table set up for Claire and Haley, and even made place tags for them!  They feasted on turkey sandwiches and macaroni—YUM!

126

Here’s Ian close to a month ago, back when we were still spending long afternoons outside, picnicking on the back porch and playing in the water table.  (It has since gotten colder and we no longer spend ANY time on our northern-exposure back porch!)

127

100

108

2010WaterTable

This water table was a great idea, Sandy.  Thanks for pushing for it for over a year!  Sorry I didn’t give in to you earlier.  It has provided many hours of enjoyment.

133

My life.  (To my housekeeping chagrin, this love seat spends little time sans laundry.)

134

Ruby is all about “doing” school.

140

Playing hooky under the table is more along Claire’s lines of thinking.  I’ll nearly always allow her to opt out, and she almost always does, but once we go along without her, she comes back saying things like, “Well, I didn’t know you were going to use a jump rope!”  It’s all good, either way.  She and Haley are picking up so many things, just being around “school.”  This last week, I often heard Haley saying the days of the week and once-in-a-while, she’ll get the pointer and butcher the months of the year or the alphabet, all bossy-like.  It’s so cute.

150

I cannot. Stop. Kissing this guy.

173

For about a month now, Haley will pee on the potty on a whim.  She (and the other girls) get a Skittle (yes, we have bought them in bulk!) whenever the fancy takes her, but we are not officially potty training just yet.  I really do wait until they pretty much train themselves.  No power struggles, no drawn-out stuff.  It’s a battle I’m not willing to fight, and I’m okay with having kids in diapers for 6 more months than “usual” if it means we agreeably sail into total big-kid mode in little time.

199

Casey took the training wheels off Ruby’s bike last weekend.  She loves how fast she can now go!

(Can you tell I’m just going through our pictures for the last month?  Random, I know.  Casey switched the camera from taking pictures in raw format, so I’m catching up!)

210

213

In lieu of really camping, we made indoor s’mores this week.  It may be awhile before we camp again as a family.  I think the last time was sometime after we had Claire.

226

225

Ian is now four months old.  (And I still haven’t posted his birth story—I know.)  At his well-check on Wed, he was 16 pounds, 10 oz and 26 1/2 inches.   He is still a super-contented baby, but teething is now in full force, and he has been known to complain a little.  Still sweet as ever, though.  Two weeks ago, I got to enjoy my first time away from all children (2 hours: grocery shopping, but I loved it!).  About a week before that, Ian stayed with Casey (napping) while Ruby and I grocery shopped for my first hour away from my sweet little tub of testosterone.

Ian sleeps through the night, and it is a wonderful blessing.  Something I did not expect for awhile longer, but God was so gracious to have him start doing so at the beautiful age of 8 weeks without scheduling.  Generally, he’ll go a good 7-9 hours straight.  The ironic thing is that Haley has started waking for a 2 a.m. feeding every night for the last 2 weeks!

Yes, Haley is still nursing.  Correction: Haley is still breastfeeding.  No latching on for a few seconds here.  It’s interesting to think that when I went to my Bradley teacher training in September of 2009 and was gone from 16-month-old Haley for 5 days, I sadly expected she’d end up weaning because of it.  But here we are, over a year later, and she’s more into nursing than she was then!  Never, never, ever would I have believed you if you had told me that I would one day tandem breastfeed.  Would my sisters like to know what has happened to my cycle due to nursing two children?  Take a guess, ladies.  (It’s certainly not intuitive.)

235

252

3 comments:

Karin said...

SRS, these pictures of the individual girls with Ian are beautiful. I love them kissing on him. I imagine he is going to be a little spoiled (is there a positive equivalent to "spoiled"? It just sounds so negative, and that's not what I'm meaning) by being the younger brother with three older sisters. He's going to be their little man.

The luncheon your friend had for you and a few others looked so beautiful. She took alot of time to show you you are special to her. I'm sure you really enjoyed being pampered. And now you have a few more ideas to add to your hostessing repertoire. AND, the girls are at such a good age now to start helping you put those little touches that make a big difference into time with friends.

Lastly - there's no hope for a Schultz girl, I guess.

Thanks for posting pictures!

Job 77 said...

Hi there! I found your blog (or rather your other one) somehow, when I was pregnant with my son and was looking for positive birth stories. I wanted to let you know that I've really enjoyed what you have to say about birth and motherhood. Many times I read something that you've written and think, "Oh, hey, I'm not the only one who thinks that it's a break to take only one child to the grocery store," or whatever. So, I finally got up the courage to stop lurking around, blogstalking you in cyberspace. I've been meaning to do so for a while now, but, you know, there's always a million and a half other things to do. Hope this doesn't weird you out that a total stranger has been reading your blog. But I really have been blessed by what you've written.
---Jessica

cowartclan said...

I love the pictures. Ian is a dolly and getting so BIG!! Hug those sweet girlies for us! The 3 G's can't wait to see their cousins again.

So glad that you had such a lovely luncheon. It was stunning and beautiful. What a loving thing for someone to do!!

God bless,
Karen